2013-13-05 - Chris Bergeron - ~1 Minute
Mars (10 out of 10) – Green Chai, Spiced Green, & Hojicha
More subtle than I would have expected given Mars personality, but the warm cinnamon and faint sweetness shines through true to the character. I’ll have to steep it longer next time to see if I can get a more fiery taste but I’ll hardly be disappointed if it’s the gentle warmth I got this time.
UPDATE: After additional steeping, it does indeed make the flavors stronger with no added bitterness. Wonderful!
Jupiter (9 out of 10) – Tiger Eye, Almond, & Rooibos Vanilla Chai
A lovely blend! To me, it had a lot in common with Mars, but where Mars was a little warmer and spicier, Jupiter felt brighter with just a little bit of zing. Added to the short list of teas I can steep forever without any bitterness issues.
2013-06-05 - Chris Bergeron - ~1 Minute
I need to eventually put in a post about all the Adagio tea flavors I’ve had but in the meantime…
I’ve enabled SPDY for NGINX on all the Chaos-Axiom sites. Will likely be migrating them over to Arch soon, once I finish figuring out the last few things I’d need to change.
MariaDB is going to stay at the stable version for now, though I might jump to the 10 branch as soon as it hits beta or RC.
While I highly doubt more than a handful of people use any of the sites, I guess I’m just trying to get some use out of the blog, heh.
2011-11-04 - Chris Bergeron - ~5 Minutes
So, if you know me (and I assume you might if you’ve found your way here), you know I don’t like coffee.
Actually, scratch that. I hate coffee.
But I love Philz Coffee.
“Why?” Good question, I’ll tell you. Firstly, they make each cup individually to your specifications. Secondly, no weirdo syrups and such. If you want mint, you get mint leaves. You want cinnamon? Cinnamon powder. Etc.
So, ya, pretty much delicious.
Now, I’m in the process of trying every single coffee there in it’s default form (IE: With medium cream and sugar), so here’s what I’ve tried so far and what I think.
- Tesora – 8 out of 10 – Quite tasty, not too strong but still presents good flavors, little to no aftertaste and breath. I’d recommend it for first-timers.
- Philharmonic – 7 out of 10 – Very complex flavor with herbal leanings. Not my thing but definitely drinkable.
- Ambrosia Coffee of God – 7.5 out of 10 A good medium blend with a bit of a nutty flavor. As I’m not a huge fan of nuts, it’s not scoring points with me for those, still it was good.
- Anesthesia to the Upside – 8 out of 10 – Strong start, smooth finish. More interesting than Tesora but if you don’t enjoy the sometimes sharp flavor, might not want to try this one.
- Silken Splendor – 9.5 out of 10 – Super smooth, no aftertaste, and no coffee breath. This one is a -huge- winner if you don’t normally enjoy coffee. IE: Me.
- Philtered Soul 7.5 out of 10 – Tasty, good mix of flavors, didn’t particularly stand out to me in a good or bad way.
- Ecstatic Iced Coffee – 8.5 out of 10 – Super tasty iced coffee, if you like iced coffee.
- Jacobs Wonderbar Brew – 8 out of 10 – Smooth with a bit of nutty chocolate flavor. Wins points for the chocolate, loses them for the nuts. Still, tasty.
- Tantalizing Turkish – 7.5 out of 10 – A mild dark roast, didn’t evoke too much reaction from me either way. Could have been an 8 but it has a bit of coffee breath afterwards.
- Ether – 8.5 out of 10 – Much smoother than the description board would have you believe, has a strong coffee taste without the breath and aftertaste. Lovely blend.
- Julies Ultimate – 8 out of 10 – Tasty, definitely not my ultimate but still quite good. Has an interesting flavor if you let it settle on your tongue for a second.
- It’z the Best – 7.5 out of 10 – I honestly can’t remember too much about this one to set it apart. It’s almost as smooth as Silken Splendor, almost as interesting as Julies. A good middle-ground.
- Aromatic Arabic 7 out of 10 – Bold flavors, lasting finish. For me? Not so good as I don’t enjoy coffee breath or aftertaste. If you do, it’ll be a winner.
- Mocha Tesora – 9.75 out of 10 – Love it! All the tasty of Tesora with added chocolate flavor. I could drink this all day.
- Canopy of Heaven – 8 out of 10 – Very front-loaded taste-wise, you’ll get almost the whole body of flavor right as it hits your tongue, then a fairly quick tapering off with a light aftertaste.
- Greater Alarm 8.5 out of 10 – Caffeine? Yes please! A little bit bolder than Silken Splendor with a hint of aftertaste, but maximum caffeine if you need it.
- New Manhattan – 8.5 out of 10 – Complex flavors with a subtle finish. I like this one a whole lot. Best appreciated on it’s own as food can make you miss things.
- Sooo Good – 9.5 out of 10 – Deliciously smooth, very mild start and finish with a faintly sweet aftertaste. As smooth as Silken Splendor, in my opinion.
- Dancing Water – 8.5 out of 10 – Smooth with a light to medium start and finish. Aftertaste is mild but retains the basic flavor of the coffee.
- 7 Stars – 8 out of 10 – Smooth with a nice start and finish, a bit heavier on the aftertaste than I like.
- 4 Great Horses – 7.5 out of 10 – A lot more coffee taste than usual in this one, strong start with a medium finish and aftertaste.
- Jamaican Blue Mountain – 9 out of 10 – Has a smooth but delicious smoky flavor and very little aftertaste and coffee breath. Quite good.
- Code 33 – 8 out of 10 – A lot like greater alarm, but with added spices. I’m a bit on the fence about them, but it’s still quite good.
- Fulphilmint – 9.0 out of 10 – Very smooth, almost no aftertaste at all. Honestly, it’s almost like having cocoa minus the cocoa, if that makes any sense.
- Iced Mint Mojito Coffee – 8.5 out of 10 – The combination of cold coffee and mint is very refreshing, but comes on strong with a smooth finish and very little aftertaste or coffee breath.
- Gingersnap Iced Coffee – 9.5 out of 10 – Wow! This one is tasty and sweet, like a dessert to be sure. Smooth start and finish, doesn’t come on too strong, very little coffee breath, and gingersnap breath for hours. I love it!
- Istanbul Treat – 9 out of 10 – Delicious! A sweet and fun mix of black and green teas with honey and cream.
- Philz Handmade Chai – 8.5 out of 10 – Quite good, not as much kick as I like in Chai, but you can always get it made that way when you order.
- Yerba Mate – 8 out of 10 – Very mild, I almost couldn’t taste the tea through the cream and mint. I’ll have to try again sometime with a customized order.
I’ll be updating this review as I taste them all. In the meantime, mmm…delicious Philz Coffee…
Update: Done! All flavors tasted, ‘twas delicious. Now I just need to go back and have my Mocha Tesora again.
Update 2: Ok, I didn’t taste any of the non-Philz blends yet, I might do them later. Also, I tasted their new drink!